Type of Method
• Groups, teams and organisations
At a Death Cafe people, often strangers, gather to eat cake, drink tea and discuss death. The objective is ‘to increase awareness of death with a view to helping people make the most of their (finite) lives’. A Death Cafe is a group directed discussion around death with no agenda, objectives or themes. It is a compassionate discussion group rather than a grief support or counselling session.
Death Cafes are always offered:
– On a not for profit basis
– In an accessible, respectful and confidential space
– With no intention of leading people to any conclusion, product or course of action
– Alongside refreshing drinks and nourishing food – and cake!
Death Cafe is a ‘social franchise’. This means that people who sign up to their guide and principles can use the name Death Cafe, post events to the website and talk to the press as an affiliate of Death Cafe.
Guides who link to this method may be able to hold a Death Cafe in your area, or advise and assist you to set up your own.